Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Chicken Channel


The first eggs from our Thanksgiving chicks are still at least a good month or more away (I don't know how many times I've counted out on my fingers "let's see, end of November to end of...December (1), January (2), February (3), March(4)..." figuring that they won't start laying till at least 12 weeks old.  We'll see.  I have high hopes for those thin flighty white leghorns (in our last flock, back in Oregon that was who laid first and most often.  That is, until she met a most unfortunate early end.)

But, as I said before, while we wait for them to begin, we are grateful that our secondhand chicken, MaryLou, has been gifting us an egg every day or two.  We still aren't sure what her breed is, but here is is in all her shiny black glory.  

Noah left a while ago with a cup of coffee and the bucket of kitchen scraps for the girls, and hasn't returned yet...I have a strong suspicion he's savoring that feeding and taking a little time to wake up with the chicken channel this morning.  



No comments:

Post a Comment